Monday, April 4, 2011

Quarantine!

My neutrophil counts are very low: 800/mm3 (normal range: 1,500-8,000/mm3). Since my levels could continue to drop this week before recovering, Dr. Lee gave me an injection of Neulasta.

The good news: this injection will minimize the amount of time my body is especially susceptible to infection. I will be given the injection earlier in my next rounds of chemotherapy to prevent such low levels.

The bad news: I have only had a few days of feeling well again, and now I face possible flu-like side effects and bone pain. And I need to minimize human contact for the next three days. Quarantine!

Please pray that my side effects are minimal and that our family stays healthy this week. This is the any-low-fever-could-land-me-in-the-hospital time.

So now I'm cleaning and dousing myself in hand-sanitizer like an OCD hypochondriac, eating a big bag of gummy fruit (comfort food), and feeling guilty that I sneaked into church yesterday. How funny to feel guilty for going to church!

I am also feeling grateful for the return of my energy after last week, when I went to bed at 8pm and shuffled around the house like an old lady and gave a big sigh every time I had to gather my energy to do something productive. I was back to normal for the weekend, and -- believe me -- normal is something for which to be very, very grateful. I am grateful for the energy to get off the couch in the afternoon! I am grateful that I can walk around the block! I am grateful that I can clean the bathroom! And, anticipating the upcoming loss of hair, I am grateful for my hair, even though it's messy and shaggy. It's mine! It's attached to my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment