Sunday, April 10, 2011

Hair and Care

On Friday, my two dear prayer buddies accompanied me to get my head shaved. I had scheduled an appointment with a woman who sells and fits wigs and regularly helps women in my situation. She was very compassionate and, instead of shaving, cut my hair very short so that less than a quarter-inch length remains. This was less traumatic than shaving, because it leaves something there. When I see my face in the mirror, I can imagine my hair is just slicked back, as it is after a shower. Having very short hair also took away the scalp pain and pulling I felt when my hair was long.

I am grateful to Jane and Carolyn for accompanying me and allowing me to jabber nervously from topic to topic as the hair fell in piles on the floor. They sat with me and prayed for me and listened to me through the cutting and then the wig fitting. I am grateful I could leave with a beautiful wig, carefully fit and styled -- a positive ending to the appointment.

It's still hard to look at my head (especially in the back) but not as hard as I expected and not as hard as it was to anticipate this change. As with the surgeries and even the diagnosis, the anxiety of anticipation was the most difficult part. Once again, I have been given the perfect measure of grace to cope with the change as soon as the change took place. Why is it such a challenge to accept the promise of peace in Philippians 4:6-7, when it has proven true in my life over and over again?
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Adding to my sense of peace are the kind compliments of friends at a school function last night and at church this morning. My wig was admired, even by someone who hadn't realized it wasn't my own hair. I am also helped by gifts of many beautiful head coverings. My mother, who is a cancer survivor and sews beautifully, gave me her head coverings and made new ones, including some from my sister's fabric collection. My friend Dolly gave a collection of gorgeous Indian silk scarves that even my children can't resist wrapping around their heads. It's humbling to be the recipient of such bounty and kindness. Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. Sharri, this post made me cry. While I am happy that you feel like a true Steen now, still.... We love you from Ann Arbor and Ben and I are praying for you every night before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a strong a beautiful woman, and I'm so glad that you are mt friend!

    ReplyDelete