Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Camping Thoughts

As we prepare for our annual Memorial Day camping trip, I’ve been trying to think of good things about camping as a cancer patient. There are not-so-good things to think about, like my wig being flammable (now that would make a memorable Memorial Day campfire experience) and mastectomy swimwear (definitely not cute). And, with hot weather expected, I’m wondering what one (one being bald) wears on one’s head when one is swimming. Maybe I’ll get an awesome swimming cap with big plastic flowers on it:  
(Yes! You really can own one of these! Just $14.99 at http://www.headcovers.com/1063/multi-colored-petal-swim-cap-in-brights/. Buy them for your friends and start your own synchronized swimming club!)
(Retro swim caps! My fave is the one that looks as if it were covered with dryer lint.)

Anyway, here are some good things I thought of (not including awesome swim caps):

Top 5 Good Things about Camping As a Cancer Patient
5. Far, far away from the infusion room
4. License to claim the comfiest camp chair (if there is such a thing)
3. Campground shower costs 25 cents per 5 minutes hot water. Without hair to shampoo and condition or shave off my legs, it will be the first time I can complete a shower in one quarter’s worth of hot water
2. No hair = no places for ticks to hide
1. Cancer survivors can eat as many s’mores as they want

1 comment: